Friday, February 8, 2013

Training -- Fri 09/02/2013

Incline Bench Press

10x20kg
5x30kg
1x40kg
3x10x45kg

Press

10x20kg
5x25kg
3x8x32.5kg -- I'm feeling a bit reminiscent now, to when I was doing Starting Strength back in 2010, and had just hit 3x5x32.5kg for the first time. I think I'd already stalled and reset the lift once at this point, and stalled again at 37.5kg. Now, here I am, doing the same weight for sets of 8, when I'd barely done any strict pressing for the last year (and had even taken several months off from all overhead work due to shoulder issues).

Pull Ups

10xBW
6 full + 2 partials x11.25kg -- That was a bit more than I expected to be able to do, or had planned to do. There was some motivation in the form of peer pressure right here.
2x6x11.25kg

Dips

2x6xBW

A .gif is like a gift.


Fat Gripz Rows

4x15x45kg -- Rest-pause on the last set to get the final 3 reps. It should come as no surprise that rest-pause while holding onto fat gripz gives quite the burn in the forearms.

Biceps Triset

2x11-11-11x5kg

Band Pull Aparts

40
30
25

I've filled in my 2013 membership application form for Powerlifting Australia. Now I just need to get an appropriate ID photo to send in with the paperwork.

3 comments:

  1. I remember a few milestones that I aimed for which seemed too far away back then.
    There was a 100lb bench press bar that I really wanted to be able to use for just one rep, then 60kg which was the bar and large disc either side. Both looked so impossible many years ago. Now I am using more that that for 10 rep sets with pause at the bottom. I have never managed 100kg with or without pause, but I am gaining well at the moment so this could be another to fall soon, will make me happy for a few seconds until I decide it's not enough.

    Motivation good. I have to find my own now, but am insane enough to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first ever 60kg bench press was a 1RM back in 2008. At the time, it was a huge deal to me, actually having a big-boy plate on each side of the bar. Without a spotter, I wasn't confident enough to actually do it at all. Around the start of 2010, my 1RM was 72.5kg. At the end of the year (after having taken a few months off all lifting and even walking, due to hydroceles that felt like a ceaseless kick to the groin whenever I exerted myself -- fun times), I'd gotten my 5RM up by 5kg, so I figured the same would be true for my 1RM. I got 72.5kg. Went for 75kg and the bar barely made it off my chest.

      My progress has been very slow on the bench press. I'd like to say it's been slow and steady, but the latter half of that statement wouldn't be entirely true.

      I sent in the PA registration form a little later this afternoon. I hope they like my mug-shot. If not, I'll be completely and utterly devastated beyond all measure (lulz). With the highly professional selfy shrunk down small enough to fit on an ID card, my pimples are barely visible, so I almost pass for someone of my own age and not a 17yo.

      Delete
    2. I bought what I expected to be enough weight to last me indefinately in home gym, not olympic size discs which makes deadlift harder, but have the right bore and some handles. With middle aged spread going on lean and increase in strength I may have been wrong. My birthday and christmas presents this year may be made of iron.

      Trust me looking young is nothing to be ashamed of.
      My mother was told that she didn't look like my mother more like sister due to similar look of age. She was thrilled until they got her age wrong upward after this.
      I looked late twenties, early thirties in late teens, face not so much lived in as derelict.

      Delete

For reasons that are beyond me, I like to hear what people think, so please leave a comment and let's work together to trick random passers-by into thinking this blog is actually popular.